Love cupcakes? So do we
Imagine you’ve got a batch of cupcakes and you’re wondering what to do them. Or you’ve been commissioned to produce 12 beauties for sale. Don’t panic, we’ve got some great ideas for you right here. And a lovely free gift at the end of the post.
#1 Fill ‘Em
Even though you can’t see the filling from the outside, adding a filling to a cupcake always adds that extra wow. Use a long round icing tip to inject icing, thick creams and more. Simply inject the tip in the middle of the cupcake at a 90 degree angle and fill until the tip starts to come out of the cupcake. Stop filling and remove the tip.
#2 Easy Icing Flowers
You don’t have to take advanced decorating courses to have some pretty looking flowers. These flowers are pretty easy make.
Here’s a brief overview:
- For the blue flowers: Using a Wilton 12 tip, make a mound in the center of your cupcake. Then use a Wilton 16 tip to make a small cluster of long star shapes out the top. Then starting around the bottom middle, use Wilton tip 18 to make the petals. Work around in a circle and then make another row above until you come to the top.
- For the shaggy flowers: Make your leaf shapes with a leaf tip (Wilton 352 will do). Then use a multi-opening tip (Wilton 233) to make the shaggy petals. Start from the outside and make a circle. Then make another circle further in, until the whole cupcake is filled.
- For the pink and blue cupcake: Add a few leaves and use a star tip to create small flowers around the cupcake. Use a small round decorator tip to add a dot to the center to the flowers (Wilton 3).
#3 How About Real Flowers?!
How simple and elegant. Just a bit of icing and then each cupcake is topped with a flower. Make sure the flowers are food safe and aren’t treated with any harmful chemicals before adding them to your cupcakes.
#4 Fondant for the Shapes You Want
If you’re looking for very specific designs and shapes, you can choose a fondant icing. You can use pre-made fondant or make your own. Using fondant allows you to cut out specific shapes, make the colours you want and more. Ideal for when you have little helpers.
#5 Just a Little Glaze
It’s so simple and delicious. Just a little bit of warm glaze places on a cupcake that is allowed to set, creates a beautiful and tasty masterpiece. Glazes are usually pretty simple. Just a little icing sugar, butter and milk are needed. Add a flavoring like vanilla or one of your other favorites.
#6 Get Creative
The sky’s the limit with cupcakes.
Each cupcake in your batch can be totally different if you want.
- Try a rocky road concoction with chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers.
- Top your cupcake icing with shredded coconut.
- Or go simple and add a little frosting and sprinkles.
#7 Sometimes a Little Goes a Long Way
If you look, most of the cupcakes above are simply decorated. Just a swirl of icing or some drops of melted chocolate. Scrumptious needn’t be complicated.
#8 Royal Icing Accents
Sometimes just a little icing accent can make a cupcake. These are royal icing decorations you can purchase premade at your local cake decorating shop or you can make your own.
These look tricky, but it’s a little deceptive. All you need is a dab of icing on the top of the cupcake, topped with an oreo cookie. Then a leaf tip (Wilton 352) will create the leaves on the bottom. Top with 2 more rows of yellow leaves. Add a little ladybug royal icing accent as the finishing touch.
#10 Go Colour!
Instead of worrying about fancy designs, why not use color as your creative flair? You can color your icing or use an icing spray to get the colours you want.
#11 What? Those Don’t Look Like Cupcakes!
How about some chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies? These cupcakes are made from ideas in the cookbook, “Hello, Cupcake!” by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. You can find it on Amazon.
#12 Presentation Can Make the Difference
You don’t need complicated designs to create an impressive cupcake offering. A tiered cupcake plate or another type of display can create the wow factor you’re looking for.
As you can see, there are so many options when it comes to cupcakes. The important thing is to just have fun with it. Anything you create is going to be delicious